You can make these super-pretty DIY votive candle holders with a marblized look for your wedding. They look so custom! The marblizing looks amazing but is actually really easy to do.
The secret? A tiny drop of nail polish diluted in water!
Love, love, LOVE this look! Project courtesy of HGTV. Scroll down for more photos of this project idea!
What You Need to Make the Votive Candle Holders
- clear glass votive cups
- nail polish
- container with water
- nail polish remover
- cotton balls
- clear spray sealant (optional)
How to Decorate Votive Candle Holders for Weddings (Marblized)
1. Fill a container half full with water. The marbling will work best with water that’s just slightly warmer than room temperature.
2. Mix the colors of nail polish. This part needs to happen quickly, so that the nail polish doesn’t have time to dry. Beginning with your first color, let a few drops of polish fall onto the water.
Tip: Apply the mail polish droplets near the water’s surface – if you drop them from too high the drops will sink to the bottom. The nail polish will start to spread when it hits the water. After you have a few drops of the first color, add a second color and it will spread a bit as well.
3. Swirl It. Quickly and gently drag a toothpick across the surface of the water to swirl the colors and create a marbled effect. These last two steps shouldn’t take much more than a minute or so.
4. Dip the Votive Holder. With the votive held sideways, gently dip and roll the surface across the nail polish on the water. The polish will pull off of the water and stick to the votive. Roll the votive until all sides are covered. If you’d like marbling on the bottom as well, dip the bottom into the water to pick up more nail polish. Set the votive upside down to dry.
5. Let It Cure. The nail polish will dry quickly, but allow at least an hour before you handle them so that the nail polish has time to cure. Use the nail polish remover and a cotton ball to remove any smudges.
6. Optional: Take to a well-ventilated area and spray with a clear sealant to protect the marbling.
7. Fill your marbled votive candle holders with candles and enjoy!